The UAE is home to a number of government-run charity organisations, such as the Emirates Foundation for Youth Development's Takatof, which has a whopping 26,000 registered volunteers, 95 per cent of whom are Emirati. Over the course of Ramadan, this army of philanthropists will be renovating homes, refurbishing mosques and distributing aid to poor families across the Emirates and will also will be helping out at iftars for the elderly, orphans, hospital patients and people with special needs.
There are also a number of non-governmental organisations doing their bit in the UAE.
- Volunteer in Dubai, acts as a conduit between volunteers and charitable causes.
- Abu Dhabi Cause Connect, links the community with worthy causes in the capital.
- Gulf 4 Good, organises sponsored challenges that raise funds for children's charities around the world. G4G's challenges, which range from climbing Kilimanjaro to cycling across the Emirates.
- Operation Smile, a global charity that organises medical missions in hard-to-reach places around the world, where volunteer medical staff operate on children with cleft lips, cleft palates and other facial deformities.
- Red Crescent UAE. Volunteer opportunities during Ramadan include distribution of the sacrifices, the distribution of food stuff in Ramadan (at Sheikh Zayed Mosque and other mosques throughtout the emirates) and the distribution of Zakat funds
For more information about volunteer opportunities are at these charitable organisations, please visit their respective websites (links on the right)